Federal and State Criminal Defense and Civil Litigation
Are you looking for a criminal defense attorney in Portland, Maine who:
- Is experienced and uniquely qualified to represent criminal defendants effectively?
- Has represented criminal defendants in a vast range of white collar, drug and general criminal defense cases?
- Has represented plaintiffs in civil litigation?
- Has handled numerous cases in both federal and state courts in Maine, Massachusetts, and New York?
The Hallmarks of the Law Office of Richard S. Berne, Esq.
1. The office will ensure that our clients are fully briefed on all issues in their case and copied on all communications and legal filings.
2. We pledge to share full and clear explanations concerning the judicial process and the difficult choices his clients may have available to face in resolving their case.
3. We will make it a practice to listen carefully to clients’ concerns offer recommendations for the best possible resolution to clients’ cases.
4. We strive for resolution without prosecution whenever possible.
5. We will fight aggressively to obtain fair and reasonable resolutions without serious felony convictions or incarceration when attainable.
6. If a reasonable resolution is not feasible, Mr. Berne offers vigorous representation of clients at trial in federal or state criminal courts.
7. The Richard S. Berne law office’s primary goal is to assist its clients in seeking justice on behalf of clients in all matters it undertakes on their behalf.
CHARGES AGAINST CLIENT IN MULTI-DEFENDANT MARIJUANA CONSPIRACY CASE IN THE DISTRICT OF VERMONT DISMISSED WHERE OTHER DEFENDANTS RECEIVED SENTENCES RANGING FROM 5 TO 7 YEARS.
Richard S. Berne represented a defendant in a federal conspiracy case in the District of Vermont. The case involved multiple defendants and thousands of pounds of marijuana. The Law Office of Richard S. Berne successfully argued that his client was wrongly charged and the indictment was dismissed against his client. The co-defendants were convicted and sentenced to five to seven years in prison.
CASE DISMISSED AGAINST CLIENT CHARGED WITH POSSESSION OF CHILD PORNOGRAPHY
When an individual faced charges of possession of child pornography based on a search of a computer found in his home, we became aware that the investigation occurred without a search warrant. Mr. Berne was able to file a Motion to Suppress and persuaded the prosecutors that the search and seizure were illegal. All charges were dismissed.
CLIENTS RECEIVE SENTENCES OF PROBATION IN A MULTI-STATE FEDERAL INVESTIGATION OF LACEY ACT VIOLATIONS IN MAINE, NEW JERSEY AND ELSEWHERE.
We represented two individuals, charged with Lacey Act violations in Maine, due to a multi-state investigation by the Environmental Division of the US Department of Justice. The defendants faced charges for illegally catching several hundred pounds of Elvers (baby eels)without having a license. Although both clients pleaded guilty, both received sentences of probation and fines. Other defendants involved in the case received terms of incarceration.
CLIENT WAS NOT CHARGED AFTER A MAJOR FEDERAL WHITE COLLAR FRAUD INVESTIGATION BY THE US ATTORNEY’S OFFICES IN CONNECTICUT AND MAINE.
One of our clients had a business partner who faced indictment, trial, and sentencing of several years of incarceration. Our client was also indicted but we persuaded the prosecutor to dismiss charges against him. Another client, who faced serious charges for theft of computer information received a deferred prosecution agreement which resulted in dismissal of all charges.
We also obtained a sentence of probation for a client charged involved in a multiple-defendant education/tax fraud investigation. Our client received probation even though the government alleged that he was among the most guilty of the defendants.
More case results are here.
*The information in this site may include descriptions of litigation victories or other successful representations of our client. The results were dependent on the particular facts and circumstances of each case. Thus results in one matter are not necessarily indicative of success in another case, even if the facts or circumstances are similar. There can be no guarantee or assurance of success if we agree to represent a client in his or her case.
Awards and Recognitions
- Mr. Berne received a B.S. degree from Harvard College, cum laude, in 1970
- He received his law degree from Boston University School of Law in 1974
- Mr. Berne served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Eastern District in New York and the Northern District of California from 1976-1980.
- He thereafter entered private practice in 1981 at a nationally prominent white-collar defense firm in New York City
- In 1992, Mr. Berne opened his law practice in Portland, Maine
- Mr. Berne is a member of the Maine, Massachusetts, and New York State Bars
- Mr. Berne is also admitted in the United States district Courts in Maine, Massachusetts and New York City.
- He has taught Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses in Federal and State practice in Maine and additional venues
- Mr. Berne has served on the boards of various charitable and civic organizations in the Greater Portland Area
- The Law Office of Richard S. Berne was named 2018 Best of Portland by the Portland Press Herald – Maine Today
The Law Office of Richard S. Berne – Civil Litigation
Mr. Berne’s civil practice includes:
- Personal injury – automobile accidents, “slips and falls,” libel and slander, assault, and more
- Medical malpractice – when a medical practitioner fails to provide reasonably skilled care
- Legal malpractice – when an attorney handles a case inappropriately due to negligence or with intent to harm
In some cases, the Law Office of Richard S. Berne partners with the attorneys of Terry Garmey & Associates on specific personal injury and malpractice cases.
Practice Areas of Experience
Mr. Berne is knowledgeable and experienced in handling cases, such as:
- Maine Federal Criminal Defense
- Criminal and Civil Forfeiture Actions
- Drug Crimes
- Fraud Defense
- Operating a Vehicle Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol (OUI)
- Traffic Violations
- Felony Possession of a Firearm
- Criminal Threatening
- Protection Order Violations
- Habitual Offenders
- Narcotic crimes
- Grand larceny
- Securities fraud
- Computer crimes and wire fraud
- Tax evasion
- Child pornography
- Conspiracy, and more
Portland, Maine Criminal Defense Attorney
Mr. Berne’s office is in the heart of historic Portland, Maine. From the Law Office of Richard S. Berne, it is a short walk to:
- The Portland Museum of Art
- The Victoria Mansion
- Mechanic’s Hall, home of the Maine Charitable Mechanic Association, established in 1815, and now a center for the arts, lectures, and a budding creative community
Contact The Law Office of Richard S. Berne criminal defense attorneys in Portland Maine today. Let us use our experience to help you.
Main Phone: 207-871-7770
Office Address: 482 Congress Street, Suite 402
Portland, Maine 04101